Sunday, May 24, 2009

Liberia owes me a hair band

Well, we’ve been here a week! Hardly seems possible. I hope you back in the ‘States are having a lovely Memorial Day weekend.

Today we visited Monrovia Christian Fellowship, a church that’s been recommended by probably five or six different folks I’ve spoken with. I really liked it – I knew a lot of expats are a part of that community, so was pleasantly surprised when I found that it’s pastored, strongly attended and (from what I can see) run by Liberians. Great singing, great teaching, and just plain nice to be there. 
After church, we headed to the home of Brendan and Christina – some folks that Joy had referred me to. They were marvelously hospitable; we talked of many things and feasted on spaghetti, garlic bread, and chocolate chip bars. Yum! They have five kids and another family living in their guest house, AND they’re leaving for the ‘States tomorrow, so it was really gracious of them to invite us in spite of all that’s going on. They had great stories of life here (like the time they wanted to buy ice and got eggs instead!), and it was great to learn a bit from them about how they’ve learned to make living an expat life workable.

We then headed back to the guest house where I had great intentions of being productive, but really just ended up taking a long nap! Ever since arrival here we’ve talked about wanting to go down to the beach but tonight was the first time that actually happened! 
Mustafa was wise and stayed in the “wade” zone. I played about in the crashing-ness and half drowned myself trying to body surf and generally had a lovely, refreshing time. I am holding Liberia responsible for the hair band (not the 80’s kind!) that somehow disappeared in the process.