Saturday, May 2, 2009

Ad Lib

So, I'm leaving, two weeks from today, for an exploratory trip to Liberia. I will be going with an organization called Shelter for Life, and we'll be looking into (among other things) setting up a 2-year project to renovate 100 schools. The question I'm hoping to answer: will I return in July or August with the start of the project, to be SFL's project manager?

While the "ad lib" in the title is referring to the country, I thought it would be fun to play with some additional definitions for "ad libitum" and "ad lib":

  • "at one's pleasure." hmm, ok, let's keep looking... well, I admit it - I do think this experience will be fun. It's all in how you define it, right?
  • "at the discretion of the performer. Used chiefly as a direction giving license to alter or omit a part." Well, there we might be on to something... I'm guessing there will be some of that, as this is SFL's first foray into the country!
  • "without advance preparation". Ha, that's starting to sound about right. I'll do as much as I can, but there is a limit to how much you can really be prepared for a change of this magnitude. Did I mention that I love my job, love my friends, love Appleton, and love snow? I'd rather be cold than hot any day, and I'm not a huge fan of mosquitoes. Hmmm!
  • "freely; as needed; without stint". Yes, I like that. Especially because "stint" (well, actually "unstinting") is such a great word. But this decision really is one of taking one step forward at a time, feeling my way, and continuing to try, to pray, to seek freely as I go. Whether or not I return to Liberia, I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can about the country, the people, what God is doing there, and what I might do to be a part of that.